Monday, November 22, 2010
Motivation to TRI when the weather is nasty
As I sit at my dining room table and write this, I can hear the wind whipping around our homestead in NW Washington. It is a frigid 21 degrees and the streets are a sheet of ice.
I was planning on swimming tonight, but after taking nearly 40 minutes to get home, it was going to be another 40 minutes to get back to town to swim at the aquatic center. Should I be depressed I'm not following my plan? Am I not motivated? I AM MOTIVATED ... to do two workouts tomorrow! Run for an hour, then swim. Doable.
But, what about the bike? Looks like another week, at least, of riding on the trainer and running on the dreadmill. How to stay motivated, you ask?
I have several suggestions:
1. First, don't let one missed workout get you down. I will do two in one day (aka...tomorrow! ;)
2. Find the silver lining ... as I get to ride my trainer, I can catch up on those really important shows I DVR'd last week, such as Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
3. Think of getting fat. This always does it for me in a pinch.
4. My coach will be disappointed I'm not with the program. While I don't mind missing a workout or two, ultimately, I want to follow coaches plan to a T.
5. My motivation might just make someone else motivated. Has anyone ever told you, "Thanks! If it wasn't for you meeting me to run at 4 am, I would have never gotten out of bed!" That always make me smile!
No wind, no ice, no snow is going to keep this tri girl from staying motivated!
...gotta go... my show's back on ...