Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tunnel to Towers 5K

On 09-11-2011, my son and husband decided to run the Tunnel to Towers 5K.  I was debating whether to run it just for fun or be a spectator/cheerleader.  After all, it had only been two weeks since Ironman Canada and I wasn't sure my legs were ready for any sort of speed.  And, I ate so much cake the night before ... not to mention the wine ...

BUT, my inner voice beckoned ... "you did sign up for another marathon in 12 weeks ... so why not? It's just a teensy little 5K."

My inner voice won and I decided to give it a whirl. 

I drove down to Pioneer Park and registered all three of us for the 5K.  Whatcom County Fire District 7 firefighters put the race together and were busy trying to get the fire engines in place with the American Flag flying high.


It was sunny and warm already and I wasn't particularly nervous, I just wanted to "see" how I would do.  More and more people started to arrive.  By the time the race was underway, a little over 200 were registered and ready to race.  No chip timing, just a clock on one of the engines was displayed.


The start of the race, I positioned myself far right on the road (far left as your looking at the picture) and my son was next to me.  I think he hung on for about 200 yards or so.



Ferndale City streets were lined with American Flags

Slight uphill the first 1/2 mile up Main St.




Only two runners ahead of me at this point







Sprint to the finish and #105 passed me at the end. 4th overall.
Little American Flags were passed out at the finish
1st place Female! Armando was 2nd place overall.




Spencer and Dean finish strong ... Spencer was pooped!



All in all, a great race! Although I would have really liked an official time for the books.  I'll take the win nonetheless and be thankful my legs remembered how to race.  And hey, I won a pair of SuperFeet!

1 comment: